Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Mommy Tip of the day ~ When your routine doesn't work ... let things go!


I was the kid in school who had to be involved in EVERYTHING. Clubs, Music, Equestrian activieies & the occasional game of tennis tended to drive my schedule into the ground most days. Somehow in high school, I even managed to hold down a part time job at a dry cleaners! I actually WASHED the shirts! There are not many memories I can recall where I was not scheduled to do something.

I can remember walking home from school (we did that back then) in the 2nd grade and telling my friend (who asked me to come over to play) that I couldn't play because I had an activity every day of the week. I honestly do not know how my mother did it! My father traveled EVERY day of the week and I was the oldest child of 3! How did she get us everywhere, still manage to put dinner on the table AND maintain her sanity? I am so grateful for all of the experiences I had as a child! Thanks Mom ... you're the best!!

I just can't seem to pull it all off nearly as gracefully as her .... So ~ this fall I have had a "watershed" moment and made a big lifestyle change for my kids (and me!). Not everyone will agree with me, but I wrote down my personal priorities and decided this new idea was best for my ENTIRE family.

We are giving up afterschool activities for the ENTIRE fall. The only activity will be brownies for my eight year old who has a passion for earning her adorable badges! The bonus is that the troop leaders are great AND we have a fabulous carpool!

I know this sounds radical .... even CRAZY! What mom would deny her kids the activity of organized soccer in the fall, or flute lessons, or art class! These are important, even required for college admittance these days ... aren't they?

Well, when it came down to it, my kids just wanted to be kids for a few more weeks while we transition into school. When asked what they want to participate in this fall, my question was met with grimaces and a few "forced" answers.

As a result, I have officially decided to trade in Junior Soccer for Family Game Night! We are taking a break from the "required" events of sports, piano practice, & swim lessons I would have normally signed everone up for this fall! Instead, we are having "old fashoned play time" after school and "family game night" after I put the my 2 year old to bed. We are having a blast!

Today, for example, my kids ran in from school and begged to play in the sprinkler! Of COURSE I said yes! I got to cook dinner in peace (didn't have to run around town in the car during rush hour) AND they had some amazing fun together! (RARE ... and treasured fun!)

Whether or not your family needs a break from the "required" (or seemingly so) events of fall activities, I HIGHLY recommend a family game night! Our NEW favorite game is Gobblet (see picture)! It is like tic tac toe ... only your pieces can actually gobble one another! My 8 year old and I had a blast playing this tonight and we both had a hard time putting it down! After I put the younger two children to bed, I snuck into her room for a face off ... (I let her win) but it was SO much fun!

I will trade this activity with driving around Charlotte in rush hour for a soccer pick up ANY day of the week!

PLEASE do not get me wroing ... I LOVE activities ... ESPECIALLY soccer! Our family, just needed a new adjustment to school and decided to trade fall activities for family time together. It has ended up not only being TONS of fun, but also economical! My husband gave me bonus points for keeping the activity budget more in the "black!"

My bit of advice for you today ... don't be afraid to challenge the status quo! If your schedule is maddening, even just slightly annoying .... let things go! Simplify your schedule and simplify your life.

If you live in Charlotte, and need new family game ideas, check out the game selection at Toys & Co. in Cotswold! That is where we found Gobblet and today they had all games 20% off!!

All the best to a happy start to your school year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment