
Molly stringing beads & buttons on pipe cleaners at Reed Gold Mine!
My "Molly Martin BUSY BAG" & Contents
Hello Purple Martin Moms!
I just overheard my 8 year old say to my husband .... "WHAT if Molly had a TWIN?" Then she shuddered ... "that would be AWFUL." Well, even though Molly (aka the Mo-Nado) has set records in our family-of-5 for being the most difficult toddler ... EVER ... at least she provides us with lots of humor and some interesting fodder for my blog. That being said, today was just one of those "Molly Days" again where she screamed, yelled, and wore on all of our patience.
Yesterday, however, I took my kids on a field trip to the Reed Gold Mine in Midland, NC. We went with some friends with the intention of touring an underground gold mine (a historic landmark) and then panning for some gold ourselves.
I had wanted to leave Molly with a sitter, but my friends said we could make it work. My friends were amazing AND I was prepared! I knew I was NOT going to take Molly on the tour of the Gold Mine once the guide said ... "I hope we ALL behave in the mine! Remember, we will be 30 FEET underground and MUST not touch anything .... EVEN the rocks on the ground are OFF LIMITS."
Well ... since Molly likes to do snow angels in the MUD, I figured the experience of "behaving" in the Gold Mine (30 feet underground) was better left to her older siblings (ages 5 & 8).
Instead, Molly & I took a little hike around the property and settled on a bench where I took out my NEW Molly "BUSY BAG!" It was a HUGE hit!
Here were the contents:
* One sandwich sized Tupperware filled with stray lego pieces for her to build with
* One small (retractable) measuring tape (we even measured the circumference of a tree)
* One roll of stickers from the Dollar Tree (cost $1.00)
* One small "Gladware" bucket containing random beads & buttons
* Misc. brightly colored pipe cleaners from old craft kits (which we used to string the beads & buttons - great for fine motor skills!)
* A plastic wallet sized folder that I used to hide misc. pictures I cut out of magazines in the different pockets (pictures of flowers, birds, dogs, etc)
* A few stray toys I found in our junk drawer
* One "super cute" zipper pencil pouch I found at Wal-Mart (Carolina Pad & Paper Co) that I put crayons into with a few tiny note pads for coloring - the pencil pouch keeps crayon marks OFF of the other items & I stashed it in my purse for our lunch outing!
I zipped ALL of these surprise treasures in a collapsible lunch tote that I bought at the Dollar Tree for $1.00. She had fun opening & closing it as a stand alone activity!
Total Cost ~ $4.50 (lunch tote & stickers from The Dollar Tree + Carolina Pad Pencil Pouch from Wal-Mart)
One would think I had enough "stash" to keep her busy for HOURS ~ an entire plane ride perhaps ~ but in reality, my busy toddler was able to be entertained for exactly 45 minutes. A near record in her book!
I felt like I had won a "gold medal" when my task of "taming my toddler" outlasted my five year old's attention span of panning for gold!
Instead of the medal, I'll settle for the satisfaction of knowing we weren't ASKED TO LEAVE the Gold Mine (unlike our last excursion experience).

No comments:
Post a Comment