Monday, July 27, 2009

The Sad Sate of My Glove Compartment....a coming to terms, & a cute solution!






Ok moms, so the last time I left you I was telling you about my horrific drive home from Atlanta where my toddler (who turned 2 today) screamed 3 out of the 4 hours it took us to get home. It was awful. Well, somehow during a moment of peace, my 5 year old son (who has a fascination with the police and constantly reminds me NOT to speed ~ how kind of him!) asked me what would happen if we DID get pulled over. I told him the police would not be happy with me for breaking the speed limit and that he would ask me for my drivers license and registration card. He seemed happy enough with my response.

When we got home (and one HUGE headache later from said screaming toddler) I peeked in my glove box to make sure that my registration was in fact IN the car where I thought it was ~ I wouldn't want to be misleading my 5 year old that I was always following the traffic rules & regulations!

After digging and digging and MORE digging .... then uncovering an old candy wrapper, some crunched up oil change receipts and some other junk .... I finally DID happen upon my registration card (as I had suspected). It just started to bother me that it took me 10 minutes to find it when the glove compartment is only 12 inches wide by at most 8 inches deep! It was indeed a DISASTER.

It wasn't a value statement or a general sense of me "not caring" it was just someplace I rarely open unless I have to .... and when I do open it, I am generally in a HUGE hurry and just throw what I was looking for back in it haphazardly.

I wanted to give myself a fun reason to organize my small glove compartment disaster & I happened upon it in the least likely of all places .... the Target office supply aisle! I found this really fun, bright & colorful vinyl 13 pocket expanding file folder. I had used a more sturdy (cardboard) version to help my daughter organize her artwork a week or so ago. I had a feeling that this slimmer and more flexible version just MAY fit in my glove compartment to help me organize my chaos.

It Did! I was able to label the tabs as follows:
* Registration & Insurance
* Owners Manual
* Service History & Receipts
* Wheel Lock & Tire Warranty
* & First Aid Stuff ... I stuck some bandaids, Neo-to-Go (neosporin spray) and some tylenol in there .... just so I am BETTER PREPARED for that next AWFUL road trip :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment